The Kobe Bryant Saga: If Karl Malone had been a white man when making that "I'm hunting little Mexican girls" comment, he'd be strung up by now. But it's been brushed over by the media. Think about if someone like, say, President Bush said something like that they'd be holding a trial for sexual harassment and LULAC would be denouncing him and he would never get a single Hispanic vote again if he ran for public office. I'm surprised there hasn't been much of a fuss. But since it's Kobe, who knows if it's true or not. And that's probably why.
M has been kicking like crazy lately. It's amazing to feel her movements and watch her roll around in C's belly. A lot of folks who know C are making "We've got a gymnast on the way" comments. I'm thinking not so much. I mean sure, if I want her to be less than 5.5 feet tall, have delayed development, spend untold thousands of dollars for lessons, leotards and shipping her around for tournaments and have all sorts of bone problems when she's in her 30s and 40s. If she's tall like her daddy, then I'll teach her to play basketball she'll have it made. And if she makes it to the WNBA, if it still exists, then she can help retire her parents. That my friends is the American Dream.
Parenting, huh. That's gonna be a kick in the pants. But seriously folks tell your child no and stick by it, present a united front for your children and spank 'em every once and a while and the world would be a better place. And if someone tries to tell me it's wrong to spank your child, I'll point them to the Bible (Heb 12:4-11, Prov 13:24, Prov 23:13-14, Prov 29:15, etc) and I'll tell them that they can raise their kids their way and we'll raise 'em ours and I'll see you in 20 years and when mine turn out to be better citizens, then they'll see that spanking ain't so bad after all. Kids crave boundaries. They want to know what's right and wrong, what they can and can't do. Thankfully, God has given me an amazing woman who is going to be a great mother and has helped prepare me to be a good father. I'm excited to be a dad. I'm just wary of raising our children with all the political and social turmoil that awaits them. However, we're not going to try to shield them from everything, because that's impossible. And if we do, when they get to college it'll be total culture shock and there's pretty much two things that will happen: either they will entrench themselves deeper into isolation or they'll go hog wild, neither of which is healthy.
Texas in the Rose Bowl. Now, I do feel sorry for Cal players and coaches and fans, but, one, that's the way the system works, and two, if history is any indicator, they'll be in the BCS next year. Texas got jobbed last year, so it's their turn this Saturday. But they have to beat Michigan. No ifs ands or buts about it. If we--I speak in terms of we due to my alumni status--don't win, and it'll help to win big, then all the naysayers will have fodder for the "Cal is a better team than Texas" debate. Possibly. Possibly not. All I know is, breaking it down, it's gonna be a tough road ahead of our boys come 4pm CST. Let's break it down and give you the stats leaders for skill positions:
| PAS | Vince Young-1669 yds | Chad Henne-2516 yds |
| RSH | Cedric Benson-1764 yds | Mike Hart-1372 yds |
| REC | Tony Jeffery-399 yds | Braylon Edwards-1221 yds |
UT Def vs UM Off: No lockdown corner to put on Braylon Edwards scares me. People will say that Henne & Hart are freshman, but anyone who's not a casual fan of the game understands that by this time they've played in two tough conferences. It's like Diaper Dandies in the NCAAs. Just like Oklahoma's AD, Hart will get his yards, at least a buck fifty. They won't be employing the services of #2 receiver Jason Avant thankfully, but they still have Steve Breaston & Tim Massaquoi to create matchup problems with our defensive backfield. We've got the Dick Butkus and Bronko Nagurski Award-winning Derrick Johnson (DJ) wreaking havoc, but unless we get a decent pass rush and run defense from our front four, it's gonna be a long afternoon and evening. At the end of the day though, it's Braylon Edwards giving the Slight Edge: Michigan
Special Teams: We've got great kickers, but we don't have a return man. I mean, it's been since Eric Metcalf donned the Burnt Orange & White since we've had a game-changing kick returner. The Wolverines only weak link is PK Garret Rivas. However, the hidden yards of a field-position game will be won by Michigan, with a difference of about +14 yards per possession considering punting and return averages. Edge: Push
Coaching: As Bill Simmons would say, I just threw up in my mouth. You've got the Good Ole Boy Mack Brown versus the grating, stodgy Lloyd Carr. You also have Mack's "Stuck on You" partner Greg Davis, he of the "Gee, it's 3rd-7 and we've got Roy, BJ & Sloan, let's go 5-wide and run them on 3- to 5-yard slant and out patterns and let them make up the yardage needed for first down" fame. I mean seriously, if you had on coaching staff to win a game that determined your life or death, who would you pick? Me too. There's a reason a recent ESPN.com Sportsnation poll had the answer of Zero (26%) for the question "If OU & UT played ten times, how many would Texas win?" The kicker? 10 was not an option! Edge: Michigan
Intangibles: Players who grow up wanting to go to Michigan or any other Big10 or Pac10 school dream about playing in the Grandaddy of 'Em All. Texas players? I guess the Sugar Bowl. Here's the deal. Last year, Arkansas players were geared up about renewing the old SWC rivalry with Texas and our boys were ho-hum about it. They were like "Sure...Southwest Conference...makes my blood boil" while stifling yawns. It was just another game. The Hogs had the mental advantage. Fast forward to Jan 1 and you've got Texas with a just-happy-to-be-here we-need-to-beat-them attitude going against a team that understands and enjoys the pomp and circumstance that surround the Rose Bowl. They were bred for this game. Texas not so much. That's why I have to give a Slight Edge: Michigan
My final score prediction: UM 24 - UT 13
As much as it pains me to say that, I'm a realist. If I was just another fringe college football fan, you wouldn't get all that stuff I just said. Now, if you were to ask me about the USC-OU game, I honestly have no clue. They're evenly matched in all facets of the game, although OU got pushed around by balanced offenses late in the season. So maybe a very slight edge to USC. Traditional thinking says this game is gonna be a shootout, but then you have the OU-FSU title game a few years back that ended 13-2. And that, my friends, is why they play the games.
I leave you with a haiku...
BCS: Texas
At number four? Methinks Cal
Doeth protest too much.
No comments:
Post a Comment