Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Links

This article is an interesting read. I clicked on because of the perspective of what black people think about Jesse Jackson. I know I've covered him in this space before, but now his people are growing perhaps even more tired of his act than I am. In the piece he is called an "old fool" who is "an increasingly irrelevant, former big shot...who does not seem to realize that the times have passed him by." Can Barack Obama overcome all odds to win the White House? Regardless of the outcome, this can be nothing but good for our country. Young minorities, whether black, Hispanic or Asian, will feel impowered and driven to new heights. It's one thing for all little kids to say they want to be the President some day. Now, much more of our population has a role model for those dreams.

It's almost been a year since this article was published, but it remains relevant. It reminds us of the consequences of relativism and the thinking that all religions are basically the same. While the Word tells us that, as much as it is in our power to live at peace with all men, Colossians 2:8 instructs us to "See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ." I am reminded of The Chronicles of Narnia, where the Ape and the Calormenes get to calling the Donkey 'Tashlan', a mix of Tash and Aslan. Those who did so paid with their lives the penalty for blaspheming the I AM. Exodus 20:7 warns us "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses His name."

Love him or hate him, Brett Favre is one of the best quarterbacks in NFL history. Maybe not Top 5, or even Top 10, but Top 15. Depending on your viewpoint, he held the Packers hostage most of the last four years as he drug out his decision on retirement, even holding news conferences to tell us he hadn't made a decision yet. But he's forgiven because he hasn't missed a game in I don't know how long, even after his dad passed away and there were other family issues. I can't say I blame the Packers brass for giving him the cold shoulder. The only problem is that, unfortunately for Ted Thompson, Favre has become a demigod to the cheeseheads, reaching a stature that is almost above the Pack. My only question is, when they induct him in the Hall of Fame, will they do the typical bust, or will they having a bronzed butt with John Madden's lips on a cheek? Zing!

It's pretty cool watching our new building go up. The change was amazing from the time we left for our trip on June 9th and when we made it back on July 6th. Now when we tell people it's at 360 and 183, they'll know exactly what we're talking about. We won't have to say it's close to the Arboretum or across from the Gateway shopping center (centre if you're from across the pond). God is good!

No comments: