Sunday, March 19, 2006

Bracket Busted

So, I picked Kansas to not only make the Final Four, but to lose to UConn in the title game. See, this is why I didn't fork over five bucks in my office pool. I hadn't watched much college ball, but I knew that KU had rock chalk Jay-hawked all over my 'Horns in the Big XII championship game. They're my 'Horns because I'm an alumnus of 2001. But for posterity and just to have something to talk about with friends and coworkers, I filled out a bracket on ESPN.

Some brief comments on the Tourney so far:

A&M suffered a severe Stomach Punch game against LSU last night. I really feel for my Aggie coworkers. But they have a bright future as long as Billy Gillespie stays.

Lamarcus Aldridge is for real. He's pretty much the only reason we won that Penn game on Friday night. He just needs to take it to the hole with more authority. None of this namby-pamby layup jazz. Throw it down like you mean it big man!

You thought the NFL had parity?! None of the 1-seeds beat the 16s by more than 16 points, with UConn nearly being on the wrong side of history against the Great Danes of Albany. And kudos for Jim Calhoun tipping his hat to those kids and their coach. They had a great game plan, but just couldn't hit those buckets at the end of the game.

The Big Least is exposed! Mo Valley and the CAA are not overinflated. I bet Dr. Littlepage from UVa is giddy as a school girl with the results of this first weekend, especially after the vitriol he endured from Jim Nance and Billy Packer during the Selection Show last Sunday. And major co-jones on his part for actually being accountable for the committee's picks. Sure, he danced around like a good politician, but it was good to see him defend himself. And even better when the Air Forces of the collegiate world backed him up.

The NCAA. It's faaaantastic.

And finally, props to my gal for letting me plop in front of the tube for hours on end watching this Madness. I love you C!

P.S. Coming Tuesday: Reminiscing on the first year of M and that crazy weekend one year ago.

No comments: