Friday, February 10, 2006

It's a Flurry!

No, unfortunately, I'm not talking about snow, although we are expecting a freeze tonight. I haven't written in a long time and tonight you get two blogs for the price of one. Well, this is going to encompass a lot of things since it's been so long, but that's what you came here for anyway. Right?

Awkward pause....

First things first, huh? How's the family? Doing great. C and I both just got over the flu. It was a pretty nasty one since it actually took me out. It's hard to imagine, but C and I will be married four years come early March. In some ways it doesn't seem that long, but in others, it seems like this is how it's always been. We continue to learn more things about each other. There are some overachievers out there who say they learn something new about their spouse everyday. Is that even possible? If it is, am I just being lazy? Wait, don't answer that one. M is 10.5 months now and has learned to walk. She's only stringing together 10-15 steps at the most right now, but she's picking it up fast. Looks like a zombie, but a cute zombie at that. She still doesn't have any teeth. She's a picky eater. Gee, I wonder who she got that from?

You guys moved into a house? Congratulations! How's home ownership? Harder than I expected, but superb nonetheless. We've had a lot of help from Opa and Grandma. But that's what's great about grandparents. They would help you do anything as long as they get some baby time. And that's scarce when you live 200 miles away. They really have been a great help, from helping us clear out our back yard and haul off the brush to helping us refinish our deck. The next time they come down, they'll actually see some green in our front yard. Yep, we're getting our grass tomorrow. It'll be nice when it's done, a culmination of a lot of sweat and not a few unhappy thoughts about the previous owner and all the trees and rocks she put in the yard. But hey, this will be the last time we have to do all this work for this front yard. And it'll be nice to have a place where M can play and we won't have to worry about her getting hurt. This house is such a blessing and the Lord gave us a great deal on it. It's not more than we need, but not less either.

So how's the job? The obligatory shooting the breeze question. Well, it's going alright. There've been a lot of changes in the seven months since I started and we're headed in the right direction. Sure, I may not have gotten the raise that I was hoping for, but any raise is a good raise. A lot better than a pink slip. I've learned a lot and there's still much more to learn to be the best analyst I can be. The best thing is that I've got a great team to work with. And you know how important that is, and what a luxury it can be, especially if you've had a not-so-good work environment. It really is fun to work with the folks I work with. Especially the Scrabble guys. D-Money, BES, A-Wong and G-Ray. They've worked together for several years now and they've let me join the club. I really look forward to those days when we gather around that board. You never know what you're going to get with these guys. Every now and then someone gets a little excited or someone slips Freudian-like and the hilarity ensues. I haven't laughed as hard with such frequency in a loooong time. Good times, good times. And you can't beat a <10-minute commute that doesn't include I-35 or Mopac. :o)

What are the other typical questions? Ooh, How bout those 'Horns? NATIONAL CHAMPS BABY!! I really do feel sorry for whatever pro team drafts Matt Leinart and his dad. Because they're a package deal, just like Doug and Mr. Christie. Do you really want a guy leading our team that spouts such an absurd statement "I still think we're the better team. They just made more plays than we did." Do you want some cheese with that whine? Was I disappointed that Vince left early? Of course. But I can't blame him.

Well, my computer's doing weird things, so I'm off for tonight.

Good-bye and good luck.

No comments: