Saturday, May 27, 2006

Growing up so fast

So, M is 14 months old now. That statement enough is crazy to think about. But she is tall and she is talking all the time and learning new signs to help her communicate. You can see more about that on C's blog. It's how things work.

But the hardest thing is that, although we can take mental snapshots, and even some digital ones too, there's no way to remember everything, especially those special moments that don't happen that often and you can't get the camera fast enough.

Like the times she comes up and hugs one leg and pats the other one.

Or when I get home from work. She knows the sound the garage door makes and heads straight to it if she's not eating. I'll stoop down and open the door slowly and there she is, waiting for me, and greets me with an excited "Dada!!"

Or like last night. I was lying (laying? does anybody really know which one to use?) on the floor with my head propped up on the couch, and the little munchkin had decided that she didn't want to go to sleep, but she was sooooo tired. She was just toddling around in a sleepy stupor and came over to me and layed (laid?) on my chest for a good minute. I know; aaawwww! But this doesn't happen that often. She's never been a particularly cuddly girl after she turned 4 months. It's one of those things that I will cherish in my heart. Just like in Luke 2:19 "But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart."


She is a special young girl, this M. She has lived up to her middle name of Joy. She has a smile on her face wherever we go and waves at everyone she passes. Many people, including a grandma-ish woman at the restaurant last night, tell us how precious or sweet or cute she is. Those dimples could calm a savage beast.

She's also pretty smart, too. She and C watch these Signing Time videos and she has learned many signs, which enable her to communicate more effectively and lead to fewer tantrums and whining. Some of the signs she knows are: water, ball, please, help, cracker, strawberry, eat/food and the latest one, book. It's particularly satisfying for me when I make a concerted effort to teach her one and she gets it and uses it. The sign for help is one of those. Sure, she doesn't do it the exact way, but we know what she means. She was able to pick up book rather quickly, too.

Among all the prattling she does, M actually has a few words that she uses, such as wa-wa, ball, ees (please), esse (let me see, particularly in reference to our cell phones), mama (of course) and the multi-use da-da, which, in context, can mean dada, doggy, or all done.

And those are all the things I do get to see. I have a love-hate relationship with work. I love it because I enjoy the work for the most part and I really enjoy the folks I work with. And God uses it to provide for our family. But I hate it because it keeps me away from the ones I truly agape love. I usually leave around 8 in the morning and leave as close to 5 as possible so I can spend as much time with them as I can. For a month or two I would piddle around on the computer to relax in the evenings, but C reminded me that M was still awake. And God called to my attention the fact that I spend more time with my coworkers than I do with M. So now I at least wait until M goes to bed. But then C needs my attention too. Maybe that's part of picking up my cross daily and following Him. There are times when I just want to veg and have me-time, but I know my family needs and wants me more than I need the solitude. And all the stuff we've been blessed with won't be coming to Heaven with me.

Well, I've rambled long enough. I hope this is a sufficient update. I'll try to post more than once a month. But if I don't, you can always visit C's blog, where there are more frequent updates and a fair amount of pictures.

Take care and God bless,

R

1 comment:

cheryl said...

Such a sweet post babe! :o) I dito what you said about trying to treasure all those sweet and precious things and moments! Time sure flies way too fast some times. I'm so blessed and honored to be able to spend this part of my life with you. I look forward to many more adventures and memories together!!!
Cheryl