This is the email I sent to my boys about our chances this year on August 28th:
This is going to be a crazy year. Since Mack now has a National Championship under his belt, he can do a little dabbling without too much ruckus from the Longhorn rabble. I just hope he doesn't get all Phil Fulmer on us and play two QBs so that neither can get a feel. I don't think that's going to happen, however, as many reports out of Austin and in national media believe that it's Colt McCoy's job. I think that will go a long way in providing stability to the program, even though neither he nor Jevan have taken a college snap.
I actually really like our chances this year. Yes, we lost a lot on both sides of the ball, but there are players with game experience that are in place to take over. Our D will be in fine shape because there is stability on the line, with the backers and with the secondary. And it has another year and off-season with Gene Chizik's schemes. We still have a fine stable of receivers and running backs. I REALLY like our O-line. I think that whoever is under center/in shotgun will have plenty of time to scan the field and make good decisions. If not, it could be a rough year (see: Miami-Florida, University of; see also: Wright, Kyle). I think it's possible that we can lose the Ohio State game by a close margin, which wouldn't drop us too far in the polls, run the table to rest of the way and have a rematch in the Fiesta Bowl if everyone else loses a game. Call me crazy.
But this team is going to be focused. It desperately wants an identity outside of VY. This weekend I saw that Mack's team motto this year is "Do what you can do." It's simple, but powerful at the same time. It says don't try to be Vince. It says Be Smart. And oddly enough, that was Ohio State's game plan in 2001. Great D, great special teams, and have a QB who may not be spectacular, but won't get you killed.
I guess what worries me the most this year is special teams and the fullback position. Both our kickers and our FB are gone from last year. It's one of those things with the fullback that you don't realize what you had until it's gone. I still think that our RBs will be able to move the ball because our O-line will open up some nice holes in the trenches. But what scares me is the kicking game. A punter can be minimalized since we'll have a good cover team, but you can't have inconsistency with your PK. I think the one game that'll rear it's head the most is with Ohio State.
I wish I had tix to that game. The atmosphere will be arguably the most electric in the history of DKR/Memorial stadium. And have you seen the size of the "Godzillatron"? Wow. Heck, I'll just put a lawn chair and a minifridge up on the roof and watch the game from Round Rock.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment