Sunday, September 03, 2006

Week 1 Recap

So, we don't have cable; therefore I had to listen to the game on KVET.
From the highlights I saw and from what I heard on the radio, I still think we're in good shape against OSU this Saturday.

1. Our stable of horses ground out over 200 yards.
2. Colt managed the game well. Sure he didn't throw for 250+ yards, but he didn't get picked either.
3. Our defense smothered UNT's offense. Granted, it's UNT, but still, 95 total yards is exceptional, with most of that coming on the initial drive of the second half.
4. 6/12 3rd down conversion and 2/2 on 4th down.
5. Only 4 penalties.
6. Of the two turnovers, both were fluke plays: one a weird hop on a punt that nicked Aaron Ross and the other on a ball that could've been caught being intercepted.
7. Decent special teams: Greg Johnson averaged 43.5 on two punts. Only 5/9 kickoffs were returnable.

In summation, great balance on offense, a smothering D and solid special teams.

A preview for Saturday:

1. Although Colt distributed the ball to 6 different receivers, none were to tight ends. They need to be involved against a much faster, stronger Buckeye D.
2. I really would've liked for our place kicker to have gotten a couple of tries to get him battle tested, even though this game will again be in the friendly confines of DKR/Memorial Stadium.
3. Whither Lyle Sendlein? I know he injured/tweaked an ankle in the first half. He needs to be 100% on Saturday.
4. We can exploit the left side of OSU's offensive line which starts two rookies this year.
5. You can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him: Troy Smith, Teddy Ginn Jr and Antonio Pittman. We could probably do a box-and-one on Ginn and limit his damage.
6. I think OSU got a better taste of a good rushing attack than we did this week, and they could punch us in the mouth early.
7. I think we have the advantage in that we can throw more fresh, talented bodies at OSU than they can throw at us.

My prediction:
Special teams, special teams, special teams. I think Robison and Michael Griffin will be disruptive enough in the kicking game. If our kickoff guy can consistently put it through the end zone, we can limit Ginn there. Colt McCoy will manage the game well enough to keep it close throughout, with a final score of Texas 28 - OSU 24.

No comments: