Monday, August 06, 2007

Dude, That's Some Sweet Tea

I feel like I'm on a Celine Dion album, because it's all coming back to me now. Bits and pieces from the family reunion keep popping into my head.

I believe it was Wednesday that everybody came over to The Hub for lunch. I asked Aunt Mary if she wanted me to make some sweet tea for her. She asked me how I made it and I told her stepwise how to make it and she said "That isn't how you make Southern tea![sic]" I explained to her there are many variations on Southern tea since Texas, Georgia, Florida, etc are all considered Southern.

I made a gallon of tea and it is gone within 10-15 minutes. Several people asked who'd made the tea. If you know me, then you know I wasn't exactly sheepish about admitting it was I who had made "the tea". After it was gone, it was my duty, nay, my privilege, to make another 1.5 gallons for the thirsty lot. I even got the seal of approval from Aunt Mary herself.

So, I have a special price for you today. For a limited time offer, "the tea" recipe is on sale for 100% off. $Free.99 (Note: Those aren't original. My stepbrother Will learned me.)

Bring 2 cups-ish of water to a boil.
Turn off heat/gas.
Place 4 family-size or 8 regular-size tea bags in water.
Let sit approximately 5 minutes.
Add ice and water to your gallon jug.
Ring the bags out.
Pour the tea into your jug.
Rinse the tea pot with water to get any residual tea and pour into jug.
Here's the important part: Add 1 & 1/4 cups sugar and mix.
Add enough water to fill the gallon.

So, if you've been mired in not-so-sweet or too-sweet tea, here you go. And as the Backyardigans might admit, you'll have the perfect cup of tea. So lift your pinky, pip-pip cheerio.

Enjoy "the tea." And if you're asked how you made it, feel free to disseminate to your charges. The world deserves to have the best sweet tea it can.

No comments: