Friday, September 17, 2004

Driving is an art form

At least it is to me. I take pride in the fact that I hardly use my brakes. Part of it requires vision. You're looking up to half a mile ahead of you to see what's going on in the traffic and make your moves accordingly. You don't swerve back and forth between lanes trying to get there faster, you make a single lane choice and stick to it. Take for example when I'm going home. I spend a little over a mile on I-35 going from Louis Henna to Wells Branch. Getting on to I-35, the lane continues till the Grand Ave exit, so you have essentially four lanes. Now, the key to everything is taking a scan of things, both ahead and behind, while you're on the access road and taking a quick check when you're getting on. If it's open, I'll head over to the outside lane as soon as I can. If not, I'll look to the exit lane and see how quickly people are getting over. Many times, people don't take advantage of this and sit sequestered behind a sea of cars when they could be passing them up!
That brings me to the subject of merging. Now, I know, as the car coming onto the highway, it is that car's job to merge. Now, being at the age of twenty five (almost 26), I have mellowed a bit. If I see a car coming up to get on and I have room in front of me, then I'll back off and let them merge. Makes for a peaceful drive. In my younger years, I'd block that person. But, as my wife would point out, I get angry when they do that to me. Which is quite true. Had a bonehead a few weeks ago speed up to cut me off getting onto 35. I had timed my entry where I could coast right in in front of him, but no, punk had to cut me off. So, now enraged, I got around him the first chance I could, and whipped just in front of his bumper getting back over. Sometimes you just gotta send a message. Or I could just let it go, which I will try to do more.
Now, tailgating is a hard thing. Sometimes, if you are in a legitimate hurry, or on a long trip and somebody's just sitting in the outside lane with nobody in front of them, you gotta get on their tail. I prefer flashing the lights before I get too close to need to tailgate, but some people think the flashing of the lights is impolite. I reason that's it's nicer for me to flash you when I'm a tenth of a mile away than to tailgate you. Notice, though, that I italicized the part about having space in front. If we're on the freeway and you've got people in front of you, I'll back off, because it ain't gonna do me no good to get on your tail. My problem is with people who do this. So, my point of attack is thus: the headshake, the slow down, the tap, then the brake-slam (only alone, not with people in the car). Initially, I look into my rear-view so you can see me and shake my head, in effect saying "Excuse me, but would you mind backing off a wee bit? I'd greatly appreciate it." If that doesn't work, I progress to the slow down, where I just let off the gas and gradually decrease my speed. This usually gets to most people, so I don't have to go further. If you're still not getting it, then I let you get on my tail, then tap the brakes to say "Hey fellow, you seem 'em brake lights? Best not to get too close." Then, if you're incredibly dense, I will not hesitate to slam my brakes. Thankfully, I've never had to do this. My dad did this one time with me in the car and scared the crap out of me. Dude smoked his tires trying not to hit us though! I think he finally got the message.
Next on my soapbox is the right turn into traffic. Now, you'd think, at least I would, that most people, when having a lane available, would go ahead and turn. I am amazed by the myriad drivers who, when faced with a two-lane road, will, even if the closest lane is unoccupied, sit there if someone is coming in the further lane. Now, tell me why in the world you would just sit there with open road in front of you. Gets my ire up. Because, since you're being a fraidy cat, I have to wait for you and possibly miss a light that will make me miss the next light, et cetera and so on. So, get the heck outta the way!
Now, my personal favorite, talking on your cellphone while driving. I have almost been run off the road at least thrice by people yakking while attempting to navigate traffic. Each time it has scared the dickens out of me. Not good times people. Not good times. So, if you're reading this and you feel I'm talking straight to you, please, hang up and drive. You got plenty of time to talk when you get home. Or at least get a 'hands-free' thing. C has one, and I have no problem with her talking to me on her way to work or on her way home. Still, you can be distracted while driving and not worry about checking your mirrors or the lane next to you. This is also available in other forms, such as women putting their makeup on, people trying to eat, and I have even seen someone trying to read, one reading a book and another trying to help the navigator figure out where they're going. THAT'S WHY YOU HAVE A NAVIGATOR IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! If you have to talk on your phone, if you need to doll yourself up, if you need to eat or discipline your kids or read your map to find out just how lost you are, please, oh please, get off the road. Don't go to the shoulder, because most red-blooded Americans can't help but slam on their brakes to see what mayhem has taken place. Go to a gas station or a fast-food parking lot.
Okay, last one I swear. Speaking of the red-blooded Americans, why can't we just keep rolling along if there's been a wreck? Why can't we recognize there is a wreck, but also recognize that if you are to slow down to rubberneck/gawk, you are in good chances of creating one yourself. Please, just keep driving. Just keep driving, driving, driving. Ha ha ha ha ha haaa... Think Dory singing "Swimming" in Finding Nemo. I don't know how many time I've come inches from someone's bumper and vice-versa because people are looking for blood and guts instead of getting their butts out the way.
Have a good weekend folks. Hopefully when I come back Monday I won't be too sore from football.

R

No comments: