Wednesday, September 08, 2004

What's going on

So, some good news first. C has just entered her second trimester and she has only thrown up twice in the last nine days, including today. Major breakthrough. You'll understand when you have a pregnant wife having to yak every day. It's painful to her, and painful to hear. C is amazed at how many different words and phrases there are to describe vomiting. A small list: yak, throw up, blow chunks, spew, ralph, pay tribute to the porcelain god, toss your cookies, hurl, etc.

Every year about this time, Hank Williams Junior gives a common query: "Are you ready for some football?!" In a word, fuggedaboudit. Not only NFL football, but my favorite sport, college football has returned. I hearken back to my college days, when I would set the alarm for 10:59AM to catch GameDay on ESPN, then display my clicker skills during the next twelve hours as I vegged in front of the tube, only taking breaks to eat and go to the bathroom. I mean, that is living my friend. If you've heard the house-sitting story before, you can skip to the next paragraph. During my senior year, I was given the opportunity to house-sit four days for a family I know during Bowl Week. They had a nice setup, with a big-screen TV w/ surround sound in the living room, and a small TV upstairs in the pool room. I mean, can it get any better? To wit, any time C would call to see what I was doing, whether 9AM or 9PM or any point between, my answer would either be "watching football" or "playing pool and watching football." Couldn't understand how I could watch TV for 12 hours a day, 4 days in a row. What can I say? I love this game. Also, our flag football season is starting up again in two weeks. We were division champs during the Spring/Summer season and I look forward to another good season. I've improved both as a pass rusher and as a wide receiver, although I still round out my cuts too much. It makes me feel good when I can get out there and run around like a wild man for 45 minutes and not be sucking wind at the end of it. And I like telling C I caught a touchdown or I sacked the QB or deflected a pass. Men need to be able to brag, especially to their wives. Gives us a sense of accomplishment. A modern version of going out and killing your dinner.

Blog you later,
R

No comments: