Friday, September 10, 2004

Football...Finally!

A few weeks ago, I had checked the online TV Guide, as I do each day, to see what was on the telly (as those folks from across the Pond like to say). What do my wondering eyes behold? A football game on a Thursday night! FOOTBALL!!!! Each year, Hank Williams Junior issues that simple query: "Are you ready for some football?" Amen, and again I say, Amen. So, we'd just finished dinner and watching Wheel of Fortune, as is our routine on weeknights, and Cheryl mentioned doing something in the other room. I replied, but there's a game on at 7. Her response was just two words: "Football already?!" Football already? I said. Try football finally. Now, I love watching baseball on TV more than most, but they simply don't have national coverage on many games. The only showing is Fox Saturday Baseball from 1-4ish. And I didn't even mind watching the demise, er, end of the NHL. I didn't much care for pro basketball though. There is, simply, a sports void. And we await football season in great anticipation. The greatest months of the year are September through April. September through January brings both college and NFL football, the former being my favorite of the two. February and March bring us the height of the college basketball season, culminating at the first of April with the National Championship Game. April brings us the start of MLB and all the theatrics/pomp and circumstance that go with it. But May through August my friend, I languish in the mire of minor sports. When golf dominates the airwaves, it's time to hibernate. Not that golf is bad. Quite contrary, I enjoy the skill needed to make the shots those men do. Maybe it'd be better if I had the ESPN channels. Then I could catch the Ultimate Nineball Challenge or Trick-Shot Challenge. Or I could watch the World's Strongest Man competitions from the 80s and 90s. Alas. No cable, no ESPN. But we did have the 'Lympics this year. Two weeks of international madness. Poor Paul Hamm.
So, here is my list of desire to watch sports, from greatest to the least:
1) college football 2) NFL 3) NCAA basketball 4) Baseball 5) LLWS 6) Billiards 7) Hockey 8)Tennis
9) beach volleyball 10) golf
Not comprehensive, obviously, but it gives you a good idea of what gets me going. Speaking of getting me going, one thing I do hate about college football is how diluted the bowl games are now. I say teams must have seven wins and must be two games above .500 to be eligible for a bowl. None of this 6-6 North Texas versus 6-6 Texas A&M in the goingoutofbusiness.com bowl on December 18th. I know, it generates revenue for the conferences/teams involved and it means that much more football for me. My flag football team is better than that. Speaking of which, our season starts in one week. Doubleheader. I'm excited. Now if the Horns could only find a way to beat the heck outta OU, then we'd be golden.
Until next time, keep it real.
R

No comments: