Monday, March 31, 2008

Smarty-crats?

Growing up in the buckle of the Bible belt, I've heard the term "Dummycrats" more than my fair share. I was intrigued by this article in the online edition of Slate magazine.

The premise is rather fun. Before the general election, Obama and Clinton decide to split the term in some way. Whoever is the candidate for President will at some point cede power to the Veep. Then in '12, the Veep runs for President and flip-flops again. Repeat in '16 and '20. Those two would be able to run the country for 16 consecutive years, barring an injunction by the Supreme Court, which the author fails to mention. Could you imagine that? No matter the party, that would defeat the purpose of the 22nd Amendment. But I really like it. It's very clever, so it makes me a fan.

I don't see the Republicans being able to pull this one off since neither are vastly popular and especially since McCain is Bob Dole-ish in age during his run. I think also that the GOP needs a fresh new face, or at least a non-Bush pol, to have any shot in '12.

Personally, even though I tend to lean toward Republicans when voting, I'd like to see how the Dems do at 1600 Pennsylvania for a term or two, just to see how the press would handle them. Foxnews would most likely be the only large news agency willing to give them bad pub. After all the hemming and hawing during the George W. Bush Administration, it would be interesting to see if the Blue Base will get as annoyed and frustrated with the broken promises and bait-and-switches that will happen with their party prez.

God Bless America!

1 comment:

Chris said...

I believe that a two-term president could not run for vice president so that could take 2020 out of the equation. Also, if things are going well in 2012, it'd be a tough sell to the democratic base that their popular president should step down and run as vice president. Interesting idea, but I can't see it happening.