Thursday, October 18, 2007

Sex in Middle School

We all know it happens. It's rather unfortunate that preteens are doing it and other things close to it.

Now comes this story about the Portland (Maine) ISD, which is offering the pill and the patch to their middle school students. The Portland School Committee voted 7-2 for the proposal. They've apparently been offering condoms since 2000. For both, of course, there is a parental consent form that needs to be signed. But let's be honest, if a kid wants something bad enough, they'll do whatever it takes to get it. Take me for instance. In middle school we had to keep a practice log in sixth grade to ensure that we practiced between 30-45 minutes each night. I hated practice then. I still hate it. So what did I do? I learned to forge my mom's signature on the practice log. Sorry mom. And you can guess how many times I got caught. Zero.

This continues a long trend of local, state and federal governments taking the decision away from the parents. Parents need to be able to teach their kids about the birds and the bees by themselves. Since the school board has taken these two steps to undermine parental authority. I doubt all parents want this option available to their preteens. "Chairman John Coyne voted against it, saying he felt providing the birth control was a parental responsibility."

"A supporter, Richard Verrier, said it’s not enough to depend on parents to protect their children because there may be students who can’t discuss things with their parents." Why can't they discuss things with their parents? I recognize that there are homes in America where this is a taboo subject at best, with physical, emotional or sexual abuse being the worst case. That's why churches exist. That's why there are next-door neighbors to talk to.

An opponent of this decision said that it was against religion, against God. There is some truth in that opinion, but the Name has been invoked too often to have that much sway on things these days. People claim to be Christians and don't live a life worthy of that label. I know I fail to do so at times. The fact is that this decision will allow the opportunity for young people to make mistakes they wouldn't be able to make if it weren't for this free birth control. The question, though, is where the funding is coming from. Is it coming from the parents who've signed a consent form? Or is it coming from the Maine taxpayers? I know I would be against having to pay for some kid to fornicate without consequences. That's what this is really about. No immediate consequences--pregnancy--for playing the harlot. That's just what these young kids need, isn't it? To be told that they don't have to take responsibility for their actions. I fear for this generation.

No comments: