Friday, January 11, 2008

College Football Recap

College football fans were left unsatisfied this season. The two teams that finished the hottest, USC and Georgia, dominated their bowl opponents, but neither played in the BCS Championship Game. Either might've made for a better game against the Bayou Bengals. This season is the one that all the playoff proponents will point to as the final nail in the bowl system coffin. One has even gone too far.

Dr. Michael F. Adams, the president of the University of Georgia, said that "this year's experience with the BCS forces me to the conclusion that the current system has lost public confidence and simply does not work." What? The BCS came to your house and put a gun against your head and literally forced you to come to that conclusion? Nice rhetoric prez. Nobody forced you to do anything. I think Ivan Maisel did a great job calling you out for your press grab.

But what we saw is what makes college football the best sport in all the world. The regular season really is a playoff of sorts. Generally, lose one and you're done. Two and you're toast. High school & NFL football, FĂștbol (a.k.a. Soccer), NCAA & NBA Basketball, MLB and NHL are all more kind upon losses. Not to mention the rivalries, the Best Conference debates and Heisman jockeying that happens every week. I think I like the idea of using the BCS Standings to put the top eight in a playoff, but I don't think a playoff will ever happen. There is just too much money involved in bowl games and the Big & Pac Ten are too engrossed in their "pageantry" to let it happen. I personally would like fewer bowl games, with only teams that are at least a game above .500 allowed to participate, preferably two games over. I don't like the idea of a team ending up with a losing record after they play in a bowl. It would also give greater meaning to the bowl season.

Anyway, I gotta go. I hope to revisit my 2008 predictions after National Signing Day and the NFL Draft.

Have a great weekend.

R

No comments: