It should've been a higher score, but the officials said that a Texas coach touched the ball, even though he didn't. I think Chris Jesse, Mack Brown's stepson, will be in a Southwest TV ad in the next few weeks. Not the way to get your name in the papers and splashed across the internet.
I must say that I am still very worried about Colt McCoy next year. He had two total TDs, but had 4 fumbles. Thankfully only one of them was lost.
The D-line was very impressive against the run. But the men responsible for that are graduating: Lokey & Okam. The much-maligned secondary did a fairly respectable job against ASU, intercepting three passes and forcing a fumble. That one was sweet. Little Brandon Foster in there with the big fellas just ripping the ball away.
Here is a list of important seniors we'll lose to graduation this year:
| 33 | Scott Derry | LB |
| 28 | Brandon Foster | CB |
| 67 | Dallas Griffin | C |
| 26 | Marcus Griffin | S |
| 79 | Tony Hills | T |
| 9 | Nate Jones | WR |
| 4 | Drew Kelson | S |
| 40 | Robert Killebrew | LB |
| 96 | Derek Lokey | DT |
| 97 | Frank Okam | DT |
| 5 | Billy Pittman | WR |
| 4 | Limas Sweed | WR |
And today Jamaal Charles announced he's declaring for the draft. Three more from the secondary gone, two starting O-linemen, and three top receivers. Yikes!
Next year will be a difficult one to keep the streak of 10+ wins alive past seven. Losing Charles might not hurt as much with the emergence of Vondrell McGee to keep defenses honest and allow Colt to hurt 'em with his wheels. We'll still have Jermichael Finley as Colt's security blanket.
If I were Mack Brown, with what I have returning, I would go to a 3-4 defense and use the LBs to shoot the gaps on rushes. On offense, I'd play ball control with only 2-3 receivers, Finley and McGee. I'd also find a better punter that can hit the coffin corner. From looking at our roster, those are the strengths I could find. We only lose 18 seniors, but as you can see 12 of them were key components this year.
September can't get here fast enough!
No comments:
Post a Comment