Friday, January 11, 2008

The Winds of Change

(in my best Mike Wizowski voice): "You hear that? You hear that? That's the winds of change. Some day I am really gonna let you teach that guy a lesson!"

Changes at work, changes at home, changes in the weather.

Just to keep you on your toes, I'll go in reverse order.

The old axiom about our weather is true: If you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait five minutes. Well, maybe not that quick, but a day or two. It seems like every other day it goes from hot to cool, then cool to warm, then warm to frigid. We had to run the AC on Saturday and then the heater on Sunday.

S has been standing a lot lately. And walking along furniture. And just a couple of days ago, she took her first steps. Granted, she hasn't taken any toward me yet, but it's fun watching those little peg legs propel her forward to her loving mommy. I'm trying to make it as fresh and exciting as when M did these same things. She is also very happy to see me when the gals pick me up from work or when I pull up to the house. She gives me the biggest smiles and flails her legs. Lately S has been pushing anything and everything all around the house, whether it's her doll's crib, the hippo walker, the school bus or M's stool.
M continues to express her individuality and independence. The other day while watching football, the cameras panned to the band and she said "Look! Trumpets!" C asked her how she knew those were trumpets. Her answer, of course, "I just knewed it." It seems that our toddler is a bit of a tree-hugger, not that there's anything wrong with that. I was trying to hack out a willow tree next to the deck a few weeks back and she tells me "Don't hurt my tree Da-Da." She expressed similar scorn for C a couple of days ago when she was trimming bushes. I will not let her be a pantheist, so don't worry. These days she enjoys playing with friends, annoying her little sister and not taking naps.
C continues to enjoy being a SAHM, although the latter two of M's current faves keep her on her toes and out of energy a lot of the time. Trying to understand how to best parent M and channel her energy is keeping us both on our knees. Spring is coming and we've made a list of outdoor things to try to stay ahead of the weeds. She has spent many morning this week outside making piles of sticks for me to bundle. Thanks Hon! She also continues to be patient with me as I try to follow through on getting all our paperwork organized. I have a tendency to be so overwhelmed by the immensity of a project that I just put it off.

So, how many changes can occur in less than a month at such a small company? My old boss left just before Christmas, leaving a rather gaping hole in our team. We somehow managed to meet our revenue goals despite being short-staffed the week before and of Christmas. That's huge because we haven't met revenue goals in several years. It's a very exciting time at work. Well, since Jefe left, they needed to replace him. They did that within our group, promoting a PhD who runs LCMS and is the NMR & FTIR backup. That wouldn't be so bad if we also didn't lose another integral member of the team that does data review and is the primary NMR & FTIR analyst. Thankfully he's only moving 30 feet away into a product development marketing role, but still, we've suffered heavy personnel losses in a very short time. I told him "You know that leaves me as the only male in QC." He tells me the thought crossed his mind when he was considering the offer. So let's recap: I'm the only man at home...and the only man in my lab. And our new boss, I'll call her Doc, wants to do a little reorg of our lab to put people where they'd like to be, but where we'll be the most efficient team. It's gonna be rough for a while until we find someone to fill the needs left by Doc & D$ and everyone settles into their new roles. Pray for a good attitude, good team chemistry and that God will continue to prosper our business.

No comments: