Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Potpourri

Listening to KLOVE right now. Deejay says "There are a myriad of opportunities..." I'm all for using big words. It's good to increase your vocabulary. One exceptional way to do this is through completing crossword puzzles, whether print or online. However, with the enjoyment of using big words, there is the responsibility of correct utilization. The above line is best stated thusly: "There are myriad opportunities..." It's like the verb for "to do" in Spanish. It's implied. So you can call someone a milquetoast or a sycophant, but you better know that it means to be timid/walked on or to be a yes-man/flatterer, respectively. And know how to spell them as well. For example, I was quite impressed when my friend Kev correctly used the Latin phrase "non sequitur" in conversation. I was like, "Now there's a smart man."
Makes me think of the whole your/you're debacle. When reading a letter or an article, nothing makes me think less of the author than incorrect spelling. Now, I'm not the best grammarian, but I expect correct spelling and usage. That's what spell check/grammar check is used for! Your is possessive, as in your car, your wife, your zit. You're is the contraction of you and are, which expects an adjective to follow, as in you're annoying, you're ostentatious, you're cute.

No comments: