It's coming.
October 6th.
Texas versus Oklahoma at the State Fair.
Those of you that know me, know that I am a realist and at times a fatalist when it comes to UT athletics. So it won't come as a surprise to you that I'm worried about this game.
Sixty-six to fourteen worried. That was just one of the pummelings we took at the hand of Insert-Quarterback-Here U when I was matriculating at The University.
I don't know if you've noticed, but Bob Stoops has that eye of the tiger thing going on this year. He's putting a hurt on you just because he can. He called a timeout before halftime of the UNT game just to officially welcome Todd Dodge to 1-A football (I steadfastly refuse to call 1-A and 1-AA by those stupid new names the NCAA wants people to use). Then he hung half-a-hundred on The U just to humiliate them.
And I'm pretty sure you've also seen the disaster that our Longhorns have been this first quarter of a season. Granted, I'll take an ugly 3-0 over what the Golden 0-Fers are going through up in South Bend. We beat UCF in spite of ourselves. Four turnovers? Five field goals? Who are we, A&M? But there's lots of good news:
1. We replaced some starters with some practice squad guys on the latest police blotter(1,2).
2. We scored 8 times against a fired-up UCF team coached by George O'Leary, who, although fraudulent at times, is a pretty dang good football coach. Turn 2 or 3 of those figgies into TDs and it's a blowout.
3. Colt can't keep throwing 2 picks a game...or can he?
4. Jammal Charles can't keep putting the rock on the ground.
5. We get to work out the kinks against Rice before getting a good test in a rematch against K-State.
6. That gives our O-line 5 full games together before OU.
As Mr. T one told a reporter in Rocky II, "I predict PAIN!" I don't think it's going to be 66-14, but it very well could be 49-24. After all, Greg Davis & Mack Brown are involved. My A&M buddy Brian at work keeps harping on "Makes you really realize how special of a player Vince Young was to win that championship [sic]."
Just remember, it's just a game. Rivalries are good and all, but there are limits to the trash talking and what-not. Don't go making a eunuch outta somebody, especially if you're a church deacon.
That and OU still "rhymes with shucks"!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment