In this article excerpt republished as the NFL draft approaches, The Hair talks about how Ryan Leaf could throw accurate darts on the run and how it "make[s] you hit the rewind button on the VCR." Bye-bye VCR, hello TiVo. What will it be in 5 years?
A story out of India that a couple's first child has a rare malformation called craniofacial duplication. Beware photos of the child, which may be unsettling for young children possibly sitting in your lap. The unfortunate part is that, in this deeply superstitious part of rural India, people believe Lali is a reincarnation of the goddess Durga and they're petitioning the government for funds to build a shrine to their deity of valor.
This article details the "21 on 21" drinking binge that apparently 30% of kids take part in on their 21st birthday. I remember my freshman year at school when my roommate pledged Acacia house. They took him out drinking on his birthday. He came home in the early-morning hours and woke up still drunk at three in the afternoon. I personally think allowing a child to have a limited amount of alcohol before the turn 21, and maybe sooner, would drive down the incidence of binge drinking and alcoholism in young "adults". I think it's the mystique of illegality that drives young people to dangerous habits, whether it be alcohol or drugs. Take away that mystique before they leave the nest and they're probably less likely to engage in such destructive behavior.
Finally, there's an article about a magazine creator who gives this purpose and drive for his lifestyle:
"I could not bear just being a publisher or a planter of trees or just being a mad hedonist. I'm immensely greedy and I want it all. I'm just trying to have a bloody good time filling in the gap between being born and dying."
That's why I'm scared for my daughters. That is the prevailing mindset for so many lost souls. That is the epitaph for millions of young people and will be for millions, even billions more, if they don't hear about Jesus the Christ. Not the Jesus that's castigated and viewed as just a prophet or a good teacher, but the true Son of God whose perfect life and resurrection from the dead alone gives us the hope of eternal life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment